Friday, April 9, 2010

The day he came

Since Teddy's first birthday is Sunday I decided to share his birth story.  I wanted to share it for a couple of reasons.  I have not written his birth story down yet, I love to read and hear other mom's birth stories, and I had a successful VBAC.  I was fortunate enough to have Teddy's birth photographed by Jodie Allen of Fresh Art Photography.  So I have some amazing photographs of the event that I love sharing. 
Teddy's due date was April 23, 2009, but he had plans to come earlier.  I actually went into pre-term labor with him at about 33-34 weeks, but we held him off until 38 weeks with medication and bed rest.  I am a believer in babies come when are ready to come, but that being said after all of the drama of pre-term labor, bed rest, not knowing the sex of the baby, hormones, then excitement of the photo shoot, the anticipation of this baby hit a fever pitch.  I worked on getting the baby out the whole week, and I succeeded.  
It was a Good Friday.  A rainy dreary Good Friday.  I wanted to spend some time with Sonya before the baby came, so I called my little babysitter Gracie to see if she wanted to go the Magic House (we needed an inside activity due to the rain) with me because I couldn't chase her around, being as big as I was, by myself.  When I called her house her mom Terri, one of my closest friends, said to come over instead because their family (the PA Adams) were in town visiting.  Sonya and I headed over there around 10am to hang out and that is when the contractions began.  I was sitting in their kitchen on the stool and my belly started getting tight and kind of burning across the lower part.  I remember thinking, are those contractions?  It is so funny how you forget how they feel.  When I was in pre-term labor my contractions did not hurt, these were hurting.  I had Terri and Christine, Terri's SIL, feel my belly when I was having them, but we kept going about our morning.  My friend Gina, another really close friend, was off school that day, so we called her to come over and meet us for lunch.  Gina was also pregnant and one day over due.  She was a little jealous that I was having contractions.  We went up to Bread Company for lunch and the contractions were coming every ten minutes, and at this point I had to concentrate during them.  I tried to not make a big deal about them because number one they could stop and number two I didn't want to make Gina mad.  Sonya and I headed home after lunch so she could nap and I could access the contraction situation better.  They were coming about eight to ten minutes apart.  I started pacing around the house and was getting that antsy feeling.  Josh was actually home for the day and I told him around 4pm I think I might be in early labor.  So, like every good husband, he asks me if he can go up to happy hour at Llywelyns to meet Jeremy.  I said what every good wife should say to their husband when they are in labor...yes.  I know right!?!  Listen, I knew we had plenty of time, the bar is literally five minutes from our house, and he could bring me my ultimate pregnancy craving, a soft pretzel.  
Things kept moving along, contractions were six to eight minutes apart.  I called my dad and asked him if they could take Sonya for the night because I knew we would be heading to the hospital some time that evening.  My dad and Carol, my dad's wife, picked Sonya up around 6:30pm and by this time I was doing the labor dance.  Lots of swaying back and forth, leaning over, and gripping whatever was in my reach.  My dad tried to hug me, and I was like back off, lookie no touchie.  I called Jodie to let her know I was in labor so she could make appropriate plans for night and meet us at the hospital.  Josh and I cleaned up the house, took showers, gathered up our things, and then I started getting fickle and well...mean.  I was ready to leave the house but wasn't ready to go the hospital, if that makes sense.  I was getting stir crazy and you can only pace around a 928 square foot house for so long.  Taking a walk outside was out of the question because of the rain.  So we got in the car and drove to Walgreens because I forgot to pack rubber bands for my hair.  I still wasn't sure what I wanted to do so we drove to the Mobile gas station across the street so Josh could get a soda and some snacks.  While he was inside I had mother of a contraction, they were four to five minutes apart now, so I decided we should go to the hospital, it was about 8pm.  In our birthing class with Sonya, they said one of the signs to look for to go the hospital was for the mom to be in bad mood.  I was definitely in a bad mood.  
We arrived at MO Bap and waited to get checked in.  My nurse, her name was Niece, finally came to get us.  I changed my clothes, got all hooked up , and then she checked me.  I was 4cm dilated and 100% effaced and contracting every four minutes.  My big fear was to be sent home, be disappointed and feel stupid.    I asked her, "Am I staying?"  
She was like, "Umm yeah." 
We walked down to my labor room and that is where Jodie met us.  
 

Let me back up a bit.  Josh really wanted me to get a repeat c-section with this baby.  I was undecided the entire pregnancy about what I wanted to do because Sonya's birth was long and difficult, her story will come later this month for her birthday.  We went ahead and scheduled a c-section early in the pregnancy so we would have the day we wanted if we decided to go that route.  When I went into early labor the Doc decided we would deliver vaginally if things progressed, and then I made the decision in my head.  If I went into labor I would try for a VBAC and after talking to Jodie about photographing the birth it gave me the push I needed to go for it, and I am so glad I did.  I didn't tell Josh my plan because I didn't want him to talk me out of it.  So when the time came and labor started I informed him of my decision.  He was a little taken a back, but he knew it was what I wanted.
With Sonya I really wanted an all natural birth, and with this baby I was hoping to push him out safely.  I waited as long as I could for the epidural.
Lots of photos from here on out.
Getting all hooked up.

  I am not trying to sound like a narcissist, but my favorite photos from this shoot are the ones of me.  I guess because I am always the one behind the camera to have someone capture me so real, honest and raw is a blessing.  I am so glad my kids will see these some day when they are older, and see the real me.  This is my all time favorite picture of myself.  I love the look on my face.  You know what I am going to say it, I think I look beautiful.  I don't think I have ever said that about myself before, but I love this photo and I love how I look. 

Anyway, back to the pain.
Let me just say, I hate the birthing ball.  I think right after this shot I got up, probably said some expletives, and kicked the ball away from me.
Hate the ball.

I labored on my own for a couple of hours then I started getting tired, and pain was getting intense.  I could tell I was heading into transition.  It was time for the drugs.  When I got my epidural I was seven cm, and contracting every two to three minutes.  The epidural took two tries and 45 minutes to be effective once in was in place. 
It sucked.
  

Side note.  Here is what Josh did most of the night. 



He knew I needed to do my own thing, and I would let him know when I needed him.  I love him for that.  
After I got my epidural I took a rest and let my body work.  My nurse checked me around 1:30am and I was nine and half cm, but the baby was still high in my pelvis.  They went ahead and broke my water to help bring the baby down.  So we waited for him to move down.

Finally, around 3am it was the moment of truth, time to push.

My sweet doctor came in at 3am to deliver the baby, even though he was not on call.
He was out of town for Sonya's birth so it was nice to have him there for this delivery.

It only took about 20-25 minutes to push Teddy out.  I did have an episiotomy.  
That also that sucked.  
That bad boy took a while to heal, but it was worth it to push him out. 




Theodore Russell Lang
April 11, 2009
3:27 am
8 lbs 2 oz

21 inches

Perfect.

 There is a video of Josh announcing the sex of the baby and it is amazing.  There is such shock and bewilderment in his voice that the baby was in fact a boy.  Kind of like Teddy's face when he was getting his first bath.
  

I had amazing birth experience with Teddy.  I don't think it could have gone any better.  The Lord knew I needed some redemption after Sonya's delivery.  When I look at the pictures from the birth if my son, my heart explodes with such joy to have his entrance into the world on film.  I feel like showing the pictures is a beautiful way to invite friends and family (and now strangers) into such a cherished event, but still keep it intimate between husband and wife.  Words really can not express how thankful I am for the work Jodie did for us.   



Teddy you have made your first trip around the sun quite an adventure for our family.
I cannot wait to see the man you become as grow over the years.
You are fearfully and wonderfully made.
You have no idea the love I have for you.
Happy first birthday my son.  
I look forward to many more.

9 comments:

Katy April 9, 2010 at 11:25 PM  

Loved seeing these pictures again!

Also, brings back memories of my own, seeing Niece (she was one of my favorites) and Dr. Philpot.

Thankful for you and for your story!!
And thanks for the little cryfest you've induced before I go to sleep. :)

Design Mom April 10, 2010 at 12:06 PM  

Beautiful story and beautiful photos!

rachel @ perfectly imperfect April 10, 2010 at 1:28 PM  

gorgeous... every bit of it. thank you for sharing!
this is what i hope i can have when (if?) we have our 3rd... redemption.
love it.

McCool April 14, 2010 at 10:25 AM  

Missy, loved reading this story- my own resembles it in many ways - bad first exp resulting in a section with my son followed by a wonderful vbac w/ my daughter!
Kyle (hunt)

Anonymous May 12, 2010 at 1:53 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous May 12, 2010 at 6:56 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Birth Stories May 15, 2010 at 10:39 PM  

Beautiful photos and beautiful story!!! We would love to post it on our blog www.birthstories.co.nz with your permission. I will try emailing you as well.
Congratulations!
Michelle

missy May 15, 2010 at 10:56 PM  

Thanks Michelle-

Please email me at melissaolang@yahoo.com

Your site is amazing!!

Sara April 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM  

Wonderful wonderful wonderful! Love the photos. What an amazing experience.

Followers

Our Blogger Templates Web Design

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP