Friday, April 16, 2010

What We Are Eating

I know most moms struggle with dinner time the same way I do.  What to make, what time to eat, will anybody eat what I fix, how do I make sure a nuclear bomb does not go off while the kids are unsupervised and make dinner because my husband is not home until 6:30pm or 7pm, etc. When all I really want to eat is...
(I love you Woofies!)

and drink this...
(Nothing but the real thing!!)

  If you think I am writing  a post for the solution to this problem, you are mistaken.  I am commiserating, asking for help, and I giving the reasons why I keep truckin' along during dinner time.  I had to ask myself why dinner is important and why do I care.  
The reasons that I came up with were:
  1. Dinner is my favorite meal of the day.
  2. I want my kids to have variety in their diet, so I need to keep expanding their pallets by making all     types of foods.
  3. I need to keep in the habit of making dinner.  I know my kids will not need me as much some day and dinner won't be quite as difficult to make.  I want sitting down to a home cooked dinner to be part of our culture as a family.
  4. Food is the fuel for us to grow, to learn, to enjoy, and it is our medicine.
  5. I want my kids to see me in the kitchen, and someday join me in the kitchen to prepare our food.  (Sonya does this now... sometimes.  The stress of dinner hour is not the right time to join mama in the kitchen in this season of life.)
I have to remind my self of these reasons all of the time, like the other night.  Sonya basically screamed the entire time I was making dinner because all she wanted was to be held.  I know she won't want me to hold her as she grows older and these times will become few and far between, but there are three other people in this family that needed to eat (four including her.)  I didn't stop preparing dinner because it would have pushed back dinner time, pushed back bath time, which would push back clean up time, then daddy play time, and we would have gone to bed too late.  Bedtime is a whole other post.  Back to the subject at hand, dinner.  This week we ate dinner at home Sunday through Friday.  Things always go smoother when I plan a menu for the week, which is what I did this week.
So I will share our menu (sorry no photos):
  • Sunday:  Grilled pork chops, roasted asparagus, corn on the cob, and toasted wheat bread with butter.
  • Monday:  Grilled chicken, roasted carrots, and asiago bread.
  • Tuesday:  Strip steaks (this is rare), green beans, roasted fingerling potatoes with shallots, and Seeduction bread from Whole Foods.    
  • Wednesday:  Grilled chicken, roasted butternut squash and a slice if Seeduction.
  • Thursday:  Whole grain pasta tossed olive oil, Nature's Seasoning and mozzarella cheese, with steamed broccoli on the side. 
  • Friday:  Grilled pork steaks, sweet potatoes, roasted asparagus, and salad.
  • Various fruits mixed in with every meal: apples, strawberries, blueberries, grapes, pears, watermelon  and peaches.  
I am far from a gourmet, but these dinners were all tasty, fresh, and pretty simple to prepare.  Like Carla from Top Chef, if you cook with love it all tastes good.  

5 comments:

Cary April 16, 2010 at 4:54 PM  

That all sounds yummy! I wish I could pass more off with the hubs and W. I like Seeduction.
Love me some Carla!

carly730 April 16, 2010 at 5:28 PM  

This made me hungry and all sounds really good. Menu planning can be so hard and i do not even have a family.

Mary Beth April 17, 2010 at 1:11 PM  

Great menus! Do you ever use a crock pot? I pull mine out at least once a week and it takes (some of) the craziness out of dinner prep time.

Katie April 17, 2010 at 7:53 PM  

still working on menu planning. i have found with 4 boys that we will rarely be eating a meal with "just meat" (grilled chicken, etc), since they will eat a ridiculous amount. so i'm working on ways to stretch my meat so we don't go broke. hope you find some other good meals and keep it up :)

Kim Janous April 23, 2010 at 12:34 AM  

Wow! I'm super impressed at how yummy and fresh all your dinners look. Keep persevering, this looks awesome!

Followers

Our Blogger Templates Web Design

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP