Thursday, June 9, 2011

The 5K

So as I mentioned in a previous post I mentioned I ran a 5K.  I feel like all over facebook people are running marathons, half marathons, iron mans, posting their milage, etc, so my little 5K race is pretty puny for most people, but it is a big deal for me.  Lets get a few things straight about me I am not a goal setter, my nerves are the opposite steel more like water the tiniest pebble can send a ripple right through me, I am not slim, and I have not exercised on a regular basis in quite some time.  So this winter I was just done with being lazy and after 2010 kind of kicked my ass, I needed something.  I felt like I could honestly hear the Lord say to me, "Just move your body."  I needed a tangible goal to work towards, and Couch to 5K seemed like to best route for me.  This winter in the Lou was one of the coldest and wettest I can remember so I did not start training for the race until March 12.  It the first nice day we had in ages, I had gone to Fleet Feet that week and bought my new shoes, and I decided this was the day I was going to run.  
Here is the very first work out in C25K:
It was the first time I had real sweat, and not from fear that I had lost my child in the park, but from moving and working my body hard.  The first couple weeks of training I was running at all different times of the day because I had thoroughly convinced myself that I would not be able to run in the morning for a couple of reasons.
1.  It takes me a couple of minutes to wake up in the morning and popping out of bed to run sounded terrible.
2.  I had some guilt leaving Josh with the kids in the morning before he had to go to work.  Since our kids are early risers I was never sneaking out of the house before everyone was out of bed. 
I decided to bite the bullet a few weeks into training and run in the morning because looking for child care at random times of days was wearing me out.
Luckily Josh was super supportive about the mornings because in reality I was only out about three days a week, gone for about 30 or 40 minutes, and home by 7am.  I quickly realized running in the early morning was the way to go.  I feel like that is when my running changed, I really started to enjoy it and felt successful.  I really started challenging myself with the hills in my neighborhood, and running through the walk cycles and the cool down.
About a month before the race I also started doing Insanity workouts with my 19 year old friend/babysitter Kalie.  If you want a good work out, Shaun T will give it to you, and working out with a 19 year old will also kick your ass.  This also helped my running immensely, honestly I don't think my I could have completed the race without doing Insanity.
As the race approached I became more and more nervous.  As I mentioned before I have the worst nerves and I am usually overtaken by them.  As I wondering around aimlessly in front of the science center before the start of the race I think I held back tears three different times.  I tried to get a picture of the fear in my eyes with my phone.
       A few minutes before the race started Josh and the kids met me at the starting line.  I wish I could say it calmed my nerves, but it didn't.  It was nice to get one more hug and kiss from my little family.  The horn sounded, and I was off...sort of.  It is so crowded in the beginning and everyone was trying to find their own pace.  I am also used to running all by myself in the early morning, when there was a pause in my music I hated hearing the footsteps of all the other runners.  Mentally it was really tough to get passed by what felt like 800 people.  I had to let it go, and just keep running and not worry what everyone else was doing.  This past week I was reminded that comparison is just making yourself feel better than someone else or worse than someone else.  While I was running I stopped comparing myself to other people because I didn't want to put anyone down who was working as hard as I was.  It did take the entire first mile and half to calm my nerves down.  It took everything I had in me to not turn around and walk back to the starting line because I felt like was a fake.  I felt like I didn't belong there with all these people who knew what they were doing.  When I hit mile three, I finally realized I was doing it, I was running in a super hot race and I was almost done.  The sun was blazing on mile three, but all I wanted to do was run the entire race.  I didn't care how slow I ran, I just didn't want to walk.  About a quarter a mile from the finish line Josh and the kids were there to cheer me on.  I almost started crying because part of the reason I started running was for them.  I wanted to be better and stronger wife and mother.  In the beginning of my training when I was trying to get up some killer hills, I would picture my little sweet family cheering me on, and it would bring tears to my eyes.  Then to see them really there in Forest Park, I almost couldn't take it.  I kicked it up as best as I could after I saw them, and then there it was, the finish line.  
I had made it.
My hard work had paid off.
It felt so good.
My official time was 34:07
14th in my age group
42nd in overall women.
I did check to see where I would land in the 20-29 age bracket, and it was 18th.
Here I am very hot, but FINISHED!!!
I went inside the science center to use the bathroom since I had to pee since mile two.  The air conditioning felt amazing.  I couldn't believe more people weren't inside.
All in all it was a great morning.  I am so glad I did it, and stuck with it.  A huge thank you to friends and family who encouraged me, watched my kids, and believed I could do it.  
Thank you to the Lord for whispering in my ear to move more.  
I am so grateful.
Now 10K training, who is with me?

7 comments:

rachel @ perfectly imperfect June 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM  

CONGRATULATIONS! that takes so much discipline, as well as support from family & friends. which 10K are you training for? : )

Katy June 9, 2011 at 1:05 PM  

You've inspired me to reconsider my hatred for running!

Proud of you, friend!

judahmom June 9, 2011 at 6:58 PM  

Missy, you're awesome!! I hope you are very proud. : )

The DeVries' June 9, 2011 at 9:23 PM  

Way to go Miss! Really, a huge accomplishment!! I know how hard it is to do after birthing two babies!!! You stuck with it and did amazing! Let me know which race...if I can get over this hurdle of my babe not drinking my post-run milk, I would be in! :) Way to go!

Ellen June 11, 2011 at 2:05 PM  

Way to go, Missy! I started from scratch almost two years ago, and I know it's SO hard to find time and motivation, even when all the pieces fall into place. You should be so very proud of yourself for what you've accomplished - a 5K is no small potatoes. You're a great example for your kids and friends and blog-readers. Keep up the great work!!!!

Ashley C. Teer June 13, 2011 at 1:16 AM  

another reason why you amaze me. way to go lil mama!

Sara June 14, 2011 at 11:16 AM  

Awesome job Missy! That's fantastic! And what a great time for a 5K! You're faster than you let on! I will always remember my first race, it's such a great feeling of accomplishment! I'm in for the 10k with you! :)

Followers

Our Blogger Templates Web Design

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP