Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Then and Now

Last week we had Sonya's conference at school.  I know some people might think a conference for a pre-schooler is silly, but not me - I love checking in with her teacher.  I never realized how controversial pre-school, or school in general can get between parents.  To send your kids to pre school or keep them home, where you go, how often you go; and why do other parents care where other people's kids are going to school?  The view on pre-school, in our family, is that we are partnering with the school/teacher to help us nurture and teach our children mentally, physically, and spiritually.  The bottom line for us is we can't do it on our on our own.  Don't get me wrong, school defiantly gives me a break in the day, but more importantly when I send Sonya to school I know to she is cared for in that ways that I fall short.
My thoughts for pre-school (homeschool, public, private, etc.) are that you do what works for your family.  Since becoming a mother, one of the biggest lessons I have learned is that there is not one formula that works for every family.  As mothers we should not judge or throw out opinions that aren't asked for, but we should come along side one another and encourage each other to make the best and right decisions for your own family.
OK, off my soap box.      
   I am super excited for Sonya to enter JK next year, but my heart is starting to break as 3K ends.  Sonya's sweet teacher, Mrs. H, writes up a description of each child in the class and has you read it at their conference.  After I read the description from her teacher, I realized how well her teachers know her, understand her, and love her.    
I am so grateful for the amazing year Sonya has had.  
One of the other things Mrs. H shows you is your child's self portrait, 
one from first semester and one from second semester.
This was Sonya's self portrait from October.
I love it how it is so scribbly, and not a lot of detail.  
I also love that it has how she wrote her name before she could write all the letters at the bottom.
This portrait is form March.
Look at the difference, so much detail!!
 Fingers, stripes on her dress, ears, irises in her eyes, a blue 
(of course) bow in her hair, the sun and her name written so well at the bottom.
This is such a great project to get a tiny view into how Sonya sees the world, and especially how she sees herself.  
I am feeling rather sappy lately as both my kids birthdays approach, so sorry for all gushing lately.  It is such a joy to watch them grow and learn.
I am one blessed mama.

3 comments:

gretchen April 6, 2011 at 4:01 AM  

oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh i LOVE this. do you thinkyou can get her to draw portraits of other people she knows?

judahmom April 6, 2011 at 3:28 PM  

Love the comparison!! Way to go, Sonya! (love how she writes her "a"). So cute.

Also, way to go on doing that mask project. You are very ambitious. I haven't painted w/ my kids since last summer! Truly.

amy April 7, 2011 at 6:58 PM  

we LOVE Mrs. H!!! She is one special teacher- I am amazed at how she knows each of her students and genuinely loves them!

Followers

Our Blogger Templates Web Design

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP