Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Monday Manifest on Wednesday

I found this list of 30 Healthiest Foods on this blog here.  She got it from an article in Real Simple Magazine, you can read here.  I have bold faced the foods we eat, or I should say my kids eat on a regular basis.  I do eat some of those foods, but I am a very picky eater.  I have come light years from where I was even five years ago, ask my husband and family.  I am NOT a super healthy person, I am trying and failing miserably.  I ,in reality, need to lose quite a bit of weight, but that is whole separate post.  I do work really hard with my giving my kids good foods, and explain to them (really just Sonya right now) why we eat foods that are good for us.  I am also not saying my kids never eat junk, because that would be a lie!!  Anyway I thought I would share this list because it is good info and great things to add to your diet.   

  1. Mushrooms
  2. Walnuts
  3. Whole-Grain Pasta
  4. Peanut and Nut Butters
  5. Oatmeal (They only like this sometimes) 
  6. Barley
  7. Quinoa (I actually really like quinoa, but I am scared to make it.  I made it once and it was a big fail.) 
  8. Lentils
  9. Bulgur
  10. Almonds
  11. Eggs
  12. Nonfat Greek Yogurt (Sonya like regular yogurt, trying to switch her.  TR cannot have yogurt)
  13. Chicken Breasts
  14. Wild Salmon
  15. Sardines
  16. Kale
  17. Kiwi
  18. Blueberries (I think my kids are blueberry addicts)
  19. Brocoli 
  20. Avocados
  21. Black Beans
  22. Sweet Potatoes
  23. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
  24. Edamame
  25. Chard
  26. Kidney Beans
  27. Oranges
  28. Pumpkin (I have 6 cans of pumpkin in my pantry I keep forgetting to use)
  29. Spinach 
  30. Skim Milk

4 comments:

Adriane February 2, 2011 at 3:13 PM  

You should really try edamame - my kids love it! But, if TR is allergic to soy, that's a bad idea. It's a great source of protein though and it's fun to pop the beans out of the pods :)

Cary February 2, 2011 at 8:18 PM  

All my favorites! Well, except the meat. I'm glad the grains got some love.

Terri February 2, 2011 at 10:17 PM  

Wait, no chips and salsa...wine? Where are the sloppy joes and tater tots?

I did make banana bread, mama bread, and a yummy spinach salad tonight-with walnuts and oranges....I wish it wasn't so expensive to eat healthy. Would love some ideas on cheap and healthy meals for strappin teenagers.

Love your ideas and keep blogging friend!

gretchen February 5, 2011 at 6:42 AM  

I love greek yogurt. If you're trying to make the switch, why don't you mix a little greek into regular, and then slowly up the amount you add in until the switch is made. Also, when i eat greek yogurt, I add honey and cinnamon and then add strawberries...of course soso would like blueberries. Also, I really like to mix it with applesauce. Try and do greek yogurt with applesauce as a topping for pancakes--you can also just add your own vanilla. Also, if you want to incorporate spinach, just get frozen spinach and throw it in the berry smoothies they like, they won't taste it or see it, and you don't have to cook it.

Followers

Our Blogger Templates Web Design

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP