Thursday, January 13, 2011

Hash

Recently I was able to purchase a Le Creuset 7 1/4 quart dutch oven.  I think I am in LOVE,  within the first two weeks of I have used the pot six times.  The latest meal I made was so good and so easy.  I thought about making a hash type dish.  I was talking to my friend Cary about it and she said, "Silver Dollar City has the most amazing hash that they cook in a five foot long skillet and stir it with a paddle."  Then I asked Josh if he would eat hash, and he goes on to say, "Silver Dollar City has the most amazing hash that they cook in a five foot long skillet and stir it with an oar."  From there I googled Silver Dollar City hash, and found a recipe that sounded good.  The recipe I am posting on here is exactly what I used.  This is a great dish because you can take liberties with recipe, add more veggies use a different protein etc.  Taking photos this time of year in my kitchen is terrible, so I don't have many.  
Ingredients:   
  • 1 large sweet potato
  • 2 small white potatoes (I used yukon gold) 
  • 2 green bell peppers
  • 1 white onion
  • 1 bunch of scallions
  • 2 T olive oil
  • smoked sausage (optional)
  • spicy Italian sausage (optional)
  • pepper to taste
  • kosher salt to taste
  • season salt to taste
  1. Cut sweet potato, white potatoes, bell peppers, onion into cubes.  Try to cut them to as close as the same size as possible because this make everything cook at the same time.
  2. Cut up sausage into bite size pieces.  Cook in a separate skillet and then set aside on a paper towel to soak up the grease.  
  3. Heat dutch oven or  large skillet with 2 T of olive oil.  When oil is shimmering add veggies.  Stir them continuously and cook for about 20-25 minutes. 
  4. If veggies begin to stick pour a little liquid in the pan.  Water, chicken broth, white wine, etc.
  5. When veggies taste close to done mix in sausage.  Cook another 5-10 minutes.
  6. Then mix in scallions and serve. 
Prepped veggies.
My beautiful dutch oven.
What was left after dinner.
I think I need to head to Silver Dollar City and pay homage to this great dish.

3 comments:

carly730 January 13, 2011 at 8:56 PM  

Brendons mom has given me 3(!) dutch ovens and a LC teapot in the last 6 months. I do not know what to make in the big one....9 1/2 quarts and then i have the medium and small one...not sure the sizes.
Send me any good recipes you have made in them. I did make chilli in the one but that is kind of lame. I am going to have to try this one...sounds really good. Enjoy your LC! What color is yours? Mine are all kiwi green.

Cary January 13, 2011 at 10:02 PM  

I'm always trying to get Murph to move to southwest Missouri...we could all go and you could get a job as the SDC Hash Slinger.
Think about it.

amy January 16, 2011 at 4:28 PM  

i totally want a le creuset pot!
do you think that 7.5 quart is the best overall size? or would you rather have a different size?

Followers

Our Blogger Templates Web Design

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP