Friday, November 5, 2010

Smells So Good

Now that the weather has finally changed here in the Lou, and fall is here with winter quickly approaching, 
 I had to pick up a can of this,
  and a bottle of this.
This is one of my favorite ways to make my house smell delicious, without adding another five pounds to my backside.  
All you have to do is add four or five tablespoons of the mulling spice to a medium sized pot.
  Today I added the entire bottle of wine (hence the reason for the three buck chuck) because I knew I wanted to simmer the wine all day.  
It is so beautiful all mixed together.
  Then you bring the wine to a simmer, keep the heat really low, and give it a stir every once in a while.  
Basically, it is a homemade potpourri pot.  
This is one of those things I hope my kids remember about our house when they grow up, the smell of mulled red wine.  Scent is one of the greatest memory triggers for humans.  I better start doing some pretty awesome stuff, so that is what pops in their brains when they encounter this smell as adults.
Happy mulling.

2 comments:

Marsha November 10, 2010 at 3:06 PM  

Mis, Ask Josh if he remembers this smell? I used to mull cider over the holidays! When I took a creative writing course one of the exercises was to think of smells that had strong memory associations as it IS THE strongest memory trigger.

erin December 7, 2010 at 4:12 PM  

The Brits love this stuff!

Some tips I've picked up from being here: pour brandy in at the end...and don't boil it off!, huge slices of orange, anise stars, cinnamon sticks & whole cloves. Move over, Trader Joes!

Followers

Our Blogger Templates Web Design

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP