Thursday, August 26, 2010

Pesto Chicken Pizza

We eat semi-homemade pizza at our at least once week.  For three reasons it is cheaper than delivery, it is an easy meatless meal because we usually just eat cheese (that is Josh's favorite kind), and I love pizza.  I buy a pizza dough ball from Trader Joes every time I go because they are so cheap, just a little over a dollar, and stick it in the freezer so I always have one on hand.  I also buy their mozzarella, and fresh pizza sauce.  Since the sauce is fresh I freeze that, too.  This week I decided to change things up.  I made homemade pesto and chicken pizza.  Making pesto is so easy, you probably have most of the ingredients on hand already.  
Here is the recipe:
  • 2 cups fresh basil
  • 1/4 cup walnuts or pine nuts
  • 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp ground flaxseed (optional)    
  1. Toast your nuts in a skillet.  Then set aside to let cool.
  2. Combine all ingredients, except olive oil, in a blender or food processor and puree.
  3. Stream the olive oil in while you blend.  You may have to scrape down the sides to make sure it all gets blended.
I have actually have some step by step photos this time.
toasted walnuts
fresh basil
grated parmesan
minced garlic
kosher salt
ground flaxseed
chicken stock
When I measured this I thought I only needed 1/4 cup, but I took a second look at the recipe and it said 1/2 cup.  I had already taken the photo and dumped the chicken stock into the blender.  
So remember 1/2 cup chicken stock.
All the ingredients in the blender.  I thought they looked pretty all together.
then comes the olive oil
After I blended it all together, I thought it looked and tasted runny. 
 I looked around and thought about what I could add to thicken it up.  Then I saw the walnuts sitting to the side.  I forgot to add them in the first place.  Whoops, problem solved.
We had roasted chicken the other night for dinner and I had one breast leftover.  I shredded it and scattered on top of the pizza.  I also toasted some more walnuts and scattered those on top of the pizza, too.  Other great items you could add to this pizza are sun dried tomatoes, whole roasted garlic, red pepper flakes, caramelized onions, chile oil, or capers.  You could also dip it in pizza sauce. 
Here it is pre-cheese
post cheese
I like to sprinkle cornmeal on the pan when I make pizza for a little extra texture and flavor.  I also like to sprinkle a little paprika and Penzeys Sandwich Sprinkle on top of the cheese.  I like things salty.  I am my mother's daughter.
Here is the finished product
Whenever we eat homemade pizza I put raw veggies on the table and whatever fruit we have.
Here is my plate
Apple slices, yellow bell peppers, carrots, and pizza.  Don't let me deceive you, I definitely had more than one slice of pizza.
Oh, and how much do you love my new plate?  I got new plates for the kids in blue, hot pink, and orange with this confetti pattern.  
Sonya was just OK with this kind of pizza, but Teddy loved it of course.  I will make it again and have Sonya keep trying it.  
Simple and tasty dinner.
Enjoy!!  

2 comments:

Katy August 26, 2010 at 8:56 PM  

I LOVE the plate!!! Where is it from?

missy August 26, 2010 at 10:03 PM  

whole foods. they were on sale!! they had separated plates too.

Followers

Our Blogger Templates Web Design

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP