Sunday, July 25, 2010

South Haven The Story Part 1

This past week we took our first family vacation in South Haven, Michigan.  We went with two other families, the Woodards and the Martins.  They each have one kid the same age as Teddy.  We had a great trip!!  
So our trip began on Friday night we decided to drive about 2/3 of the way to South Haven.  We couldn't check into our house until 4pm Saturday, so we figured we would break up the trip for the kids and spend some time in down town South Haven before check in.  This was a good idea...in theory.  Let me back up and say Josh and I could have had one the worst weeks ever before we left, so we were desperate to get out of town.  We got on the road at about 7pm, and made it across the river and hit some slow moving traffic about an hour into the drive.  Not a big deal, just annoying.  So we started booking to make up some time and get to the hotel.  Lets say booking in IL is not a good idea, and it will get you a ticket.  That's right a speeding ticket.  I wish I could say that was the cherry on top of our already crappy week, but there are some nuts and whipped cream to be added.  So we keep on truckin', going the speed limit, to get to the hotel.  We check in at 12am and get to our room and the kids get a little wound up.  We let them jump on the bed and get their last bit of energy out before we settle in for the night.  We get Sonya settled about 1am, and try and lay Teddy down in his pack and play.  He was not having it, and I didn't want him screaming in a hotel in the middle of the night.  Josh and I then put him in bed with us.  He just flopped around, giggled, whined, and then bit Josh on the ankle.  I blocked off the room and just put him on the floor with all of the lights off and let him crawl around, but all he wanted to do was play in our bed.  I decided I would go drive him around to see if he would fall asleep.  It is about 2:15am, and this is the last thing I wanted to be doing.  I get in the car and drive around in the little town where we are staying.  I quickly realize that we are in a less then stellar area of town.  I was driving up the street and see some people getting a sobriety test, and then on my way back down I saw them getting arrested.  I then realized all of the 2 am bars are closing and driving around right now might not be safe.  Teddy is still wide awake as I am doing laps up and down the strip.  I drove around some more in the hotel complex, and he does not even give me a yawn.  I parked the car because I can not drive any more because I am so tired.  I decide to walk around the parking lot with all 29 lbs of him and see if I can bounce him to sleep.  Nada.  Then I went into the hotel lobby and tried to rock him a bit.  Nada.  I head back to the room around 3:15, and I put him in the bed with us.  Same old song and dance giggling, whining, flopping.  So Josh finally takes hold of him and holds him so tight that he can't move, and then lays him in his bed and shushed him to sleep.  Finally at 4am the boy went to sleep, only to have a 7am wake up call by the girl.  
We got up and met the Woodards at Cracker Barrel for breakfast.  Nothing can lift your spirits like a little country breakfast.
         

We hit the road after a little hotel swimming and a shower.  Baby TR was asleep before we even started the car, and Sonya followed shortly.  Josh and I listened to the Hobbit on CD while they slept, we always love to hear Bilbo be so persnickety about his life.  
We finally made it to South Haven and it was like we drove into a movie.  Tons of people walking around, boats in the water, ice cream shops, sunshine.  I wish I would have taken some more shots of the town because it was so colorful and cute.

All the families met up in South Haven and we had some lunch.  Jeremy was the first to get some ice cream for the week.  Baby Claire also had a taste.

 I had mentioned in a previous post how much ice cream we ate through out the week.  I was sad when I stepped on the scale this morning and the number was up, but I will say it was worth it!!  
We made it our house, and OH MY was it nice.  I kept imagining how I would decorate and set up the house if it were mine.  Click here to see it.  The house had the most beautiful hydrangeas out back, along with a cute little butt.

There will be lots of Michigan posts this week as I recount the highlights of our week up North.

5 comments:

Ellen July 25, 2010 at 6:43 PM  

I wondered when I saw your earlier blue ice cream pics if your vacation had been to South Haven. Random, I know, but we went last summer and I am sure we'll have a long future of summers there (my sis lives in MI). Either way, my kids ate that blue ice cream like it was their job! It's a treat to eat and see. South Haven is a sweet little beach town. Hope your whole week was good - can't wait to read about it!

jenb July 25, 2010 at 7:04 PM  

love the backside of teddy w/ the blue hydrangea...love all your pics!

Katie July 25, 2010 at 10:33 PM  

Missy, I'm not sure we know each other but we know a bunch of people in common. Jodie told me to check your blog since you're also learning how to use your camera. Your pictures are amazing, you're doing a really good job! That last one w/ the baby in front of the hydrangeas is so stinkin' cute!!! Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I added you to my reader. (Is that creepy? Ha!)

missy July 25, 2010 at 10:44 PM  

Katie- I know we have met some where along the way. I also have stalked your blog since the Guate days. Heard about your family and prayed for you all. Even creepier I know. Anyway, Keep using your camera everyday, you will become addicted. I LOVE it!! Good to be blog friends, HA!

Katy July 26, 2010 at 3:58 PM  

I love this picture of Claire eating the icecream cone!!!

And the last picture of Teddy could not be any more cute...

Followers

Our Blogger Templates Web Design

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP