Friday, June 4, 2010

Embracing the Grain

I wrote a post a couple of weeks ago about my rocky relationship with my camera.  I attended the the Fresh Moms class, and it was just the "therapy" we needed.  I have been shooting almost everyday.  I am understanding my previous mistakes, working on my settings, composition, lighting, and totally loving it!! 
I have also been embracing some of my mistakes when I can't get the perfect shot.  
Which leads into these sweet pictures of my boy.  He fell asleep on the couch in a ridiculously cute position, so I had to get a picture of him.  The lighting conditions were not the greatest, so I bumped up my ISO to 1600, lowered my shutter speed to 125, and set my f-stop to 2.0.  I knew was going to get a grainy shot, but I love them. 
These are straight out camera except the black and white conversion.



Here is the color of the last photo version also SOOC.  You can see more of the grain.

The grain makes him look so peaceful, soft and kissable.  I love how the photos have a vintage feel because of the grain.  One of my favorite genres of photography are the grainy photos from the 60's and 70's.  I think it makes you want to take a deeper look at what you are seeing, really know the story behind the picture, and
maybe ask yourself questions about the photo 
like...
"Why is he so sleepy?"
"How did he get so cute?"
or
"Why do I have the urge to squeeze him?"
Those are just a few.

"Embrace the grain."
I have.  I have.

3 comments:

Kim Weiss June 4, 2010 at 11:09 PM  

BEAUTIFUL!! Love these to pieces, Missy!!

Marsha June 5, 2010 at 10:05 AM  

I'm with you and Jodie Mis! Embrace the grain! I love to add the film grain factor into some of mine in my edit program depending on the shot. What a great opportunity you took advantage of!!!! What a sweet boy!

Greta June 5, 2010 at 12:40 PM  

so good, I look forward to reading your blog every day!

Followers

Our Blogger Templates Web Design

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP