Sunday, March 7, 2010

New Room

For those of you who have been to our house you know our dining room has doubled as an office since Sonya was born. Well, almost three years later we have finally regained our dining room. It is still a partial office since I am sitting typing on my laptop at the dining room table and our computers, printer, and cell phones are all housed in this room. I really do love this room, even though it is far from perfect, but a huge improvement for the space and my mental stability. Living in 928 square feet with two adults, two kids, and two dogs you have to make your space work.

Here are some photos. I didn't take any before photos because we did this on a whim and I forgot.
Excuse the photos, they are a mix of manual and point and shoot. I had trouble with the composition and camera settings this time around, but that is what practice is for right?

So here we go.
This is an overview of the room.

The changes to this room are:
1. We moved the desk top computer off the dining room table and onto the a cart in the corner, where the recycling bin used to be.

We kept the the desktop computer in here because it has all our music on it. Music is a vital part of our day so I didn't want to loose acess to our i-tunes library. The desk top computer is also on a wireless connection so I can move it onto the table as the kids get bigger and learn to use it.

2. We got rid of the exercise balls that were our chairs.

3. We recently got new high chairs for both kids. We love them!! My friend Jill has had this high chair from IKEA for a while, and we finally got smart and bought two of them. They are so easy to clean and ridiculously cute. They are only $25 a piece, such a great cheap investment for this space.

4. I replaced old trash can with two new rectangle shaped ones. The one on the left is for trash and the one the right is for recycling. I love how they look side by side.

I want to put these trash and recycling magnets on them. Too cute.

4. The bakers rack is not complete. I need to reorganize the office supplies on the top rack and lay some type of hard surface under the printer and other electronics. I know it doesn't look like it, but I eliminated a lot of things off of the bakers rack. This is an area that can always use improvement, but when you only have three cabinets, a pantry and no drawers in your kitchen, things can get a little cluttered.

Josh and I realized that we have lived here for five years this summer. My how the time flies. I will never forget the first time we walked through the front door, we both knew immediately this was it, our first house. At the the time, it was everything we wanted and more. Then the reality of home ownership set it in, and over the years we put our fair share of work into this house, or should I say FW Lang Contracting has put in their fair share of work.
We have painted walls, removed a wood stove, partially finished the basement, updated the bathroom, bought furniture, updated the electrical panel, updated appliances, replaced the furnace, replaced the hot water heater, landscaped, added a swing set, redid all of the closets, and added three closets.
All of these things have made it a great house.
In this house we have also changed careers, fought, had scrumptious meals, cried, given parties, laughed, left a church, played with our two puppies, had two miscarriages, and brought home two babies.
All of these things have made it a great home.
I think my heart will ache a bit when it is time to move, but we have a while before that happens. This little renovation is just what we needed to head into Spring and a new season of life. I know I complain about having a small house and all of the maintenance a home requires, but I really do love it, and I love our life in it.

4 comments:

Katy March 8, 2010 at 7:00 AM  

Love it!! I like that you have an actual trashcan for recycling. And, of course, I love the high chairs :)

Cuatro-Mom March 8, 2010 at 10:32 AM  

Love the trash and recycling . . . I think I'm headed in that direction. Our kitchen is very small too so I love to see how others make use of their space.

Anonymous March 11, 2010 at 7:17 AM  

LOVE IT!! You make such good use of the space. Remember, Lisa would be all over helping you plan your space. It's what she does;)- Krista

Marsha March 11, 2010 at 3:56 PM  

Thanks for the plug for FW Lang Contracting!! I have journals of these types of thoughts and memories. You are wise and will be so glad you did this!! Marsh (and Ferd)

Followers

Our Blogger Templates Web Design

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP