Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Dinner




This is a post a did last March when I first started shooting in manual and blogging.  I didn't have time to photograph a dinner for this challenge so I thought I would share this old one because it is so tasty.  I did photograph an awesome cookie recipe this past week, check it out here.


Tonight I decided to photograph our dinner for some more practice shooting in manual, and share a pretty tasty meal, too.
A few disclaimers:
1. I am not a chef, but enjoy cooking. I apologize to any chefs who might read this blog, you might want to stop reading now.
2. I am also apologizing to Cary (click here too) and Jenny because I know they don't like pork chops.
3. I am not a real photographer. Part of the reason I started this blog was to keep a record of my progress as I learn more about my camera. I also had to tweak the temperature on some of these photos.
4. Photographing the process of making dinner adds a good thirty minutes to the prep time.

Let's begin with our menu...
Bone in pork chops with vanilla pear butter, sweet potatoes, and green beans with toasted walnuts.

The secret to making really juicy pork chops is to brine them in salt and water.
To make the brine I use 1 quart (4 cups) of cold water and 1/4 cup salt.
Whisk the salt and cold water together until all the salt is dissolved.
Stick the pork chops in the refrigerator while brining for about an hour. 
 While they were in the fridge I made a quick rub of Citizen Kane's Steak seasoning mixed with brown sugar.
 A real nice balance of salty, sweet, and heat.
When the hour is up take the pork chops out the fridge and thoroughly rinse them off.
When you are done rinsing them pat them dry with a paper towel.
 Then spray the pork chops with cooking spray to to allow the rub to stick. 
 I bake them on a cooling rack placed on a cookie sheet with tin foil for easier clean up. 
 Bake the pork chops at 450 degrees for about 25 minutes.
 You want them to reach an internal temperature between 160-165 degrees. 
 When the pork chops are done tent them with foil and let them rest for about 5-10 minutes.
Note: Don't bake them this close together. I had to mash them together to get the photograph.
Towards the end of your cook time you can prepare your walnuts and green beans. 
 To toast the walnuts, just toss them in a small skillet over medium high heat add some salt and shake them around for a few minutes.
I like to cook my green beans in chicken broth for added flavor. 
 Bring your broth to a boil.
Then add the green beans.
The green beans cook pretty fast, maybe 3-4 minutes. 
 Drain them, then add a small pad of butter, some seasoning, and the walnuts.
I did not make sweet potatoes tonight, they were left overs. 
 They are super easy, bake them at 450 for an hour. 
 Take the skin off and and mash in bowl with a small pad of butter, cinnamon, a little salt and pepper.
Sorry no photo.
After pork chops are rested, place them on the plate and brush on this deliciousness...
Thank you Jen for making me buy this when we ran into you at Whole Foods.
 Just look at the name, Vanilla Pear Butter, how could it not be good.
Now here is the final plate...
I was too embarrassed to photograph my plate when I was done, because there was absolutely nothing left.
Enjoy!

13 comments:

jenb March 3, 2010 at 6:59 AM  

looks amazing...going to try your pork chops...and never thought of cooking green beans in chicken broth...going to give that a try as well. love reading your blog!

birds_nest March 3, 2010 at 7:29 AM  

No, I am not a fan of pork chops but they do looks good and I am sure E would LOVE them- might have to try making them for him.
Pictures look really nice!

rachel @ perfectly imperfect March 3, 2010 at 7:49 AM  

YUM!! i have added that meal to my menu- thanks for the green bean tip!

Annie March 3, 2010 at 1:31 PM  

Girl you can cook for me anytime!!!

Anonymous March 11, 2010 at 2:25 PM  

Hey there. I linked to your blog from "Ive got a list for that" and PLEASE can I have your recipe for the sweet potatoes? I dont know how to cook at ALL and your dinner looked delicious. My 4 yr old would thank you :)
bgbd@live.com

Little Piece Images October 4, 2010 at 8:16 AM  

this looks so yummy :)

Elizabeth October 4, 2010 at 10:54 AM  

amazing! love your chops photos! great step by step.. I am a follower of your blog now!

Jennifer October 4, 2010 at 11:13 AM  

Looks lovely!

Meegan October 4, 2010 at 4:55 PM  

Looks very yummy, and I'm adding it to my meal plan for this month. Thanks!

Brown Photography October 4, 2010 at 7:26 PM  

This is a great recipe! Nothing better than pork chops.

em October 5, 2010 at 1:59 AM  

Great photography and cropping. Delish and inspiring!

kim October 5, 2010 at 2:09 AM  

This looks amazing! What a great recipe! Pork chops are looking mighty fine for dinner tonight!

Puna October 6, 2010 at 10:36 AM  

This looks delicious and healthy too! Interesting that you use the apricot. I'll have to try that one day.

Followers

Our Blogger Templates Web Design

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP